Friday, May 20, 2011

A Tonic For the Blues

Jan Morrison from labanan.blogspot.com issued a challenge to think of some small things that color your world a little bit brighter on a cold, rainy, summer will never get here, spring day. My very first thoughts were of my sweet friends, Sage and Malach. Admittedly they are of utmost importance, but still a visit with them can bring me out of the worst moods the moment I walk through the door. Over the winter we sang 'Kungfu Fighting' almost everyday, today Malach was singing it word for word on his own, well he is only four ya know.


My buddy, Hobbes, has been with me for twelve years. He is a lover really, he likes to cuddle and ride on my shoulder. He would sleep on my head if I let him, but I don't let him.

Our Annie is a princess, delicate and beautiful. She follows me all over the house and wants to be on my lap whenever I am at the computer. She especially enjoys yoga and music.

Pepper you have met a few times, she is just too cute for words and we are so happy she came to love us.


Sometimes to my delight, Roxie, our neighborhood Newfoundland dog, will be on my back doorstep for a visit. Often she will stay for the day. She rocks!


And then of course there is the wildness of my beach. Each day there is something to delight me and lift my mood.


Now I understand why Jan specified a 'small thing', as I sit here thinking of all the things that help brighten my days, a new follower on my blog, a message from an old friend always brings a smile, making a new friend, joining FB and all of a sudden realizing how very connected I am to the outside world, George having a surprise day off, my orchids sending up new shoots, seeing a whale in our bay... well you start to get the picture. And so do I, how blessed am I.

7 comments:

  1. Shanna... this kid picture is the funniest! Not just because I love these kids... you sure bring out the dance in them! xo
    Auntie Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Shanna. Great photos and well said. We all have to notice and be more mindful of the greatness that surrounds us daily.
    You sure make us smile when you walk through our door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these things don't seem so small when listed in this lovely heartfelt way...
    Drooke actually does sleep on my head...I'm trying to break her from it because I think I am getting allergies {to her?}...So it's been a cycle of:
    Sleep~wake~push cat onto floor~sleep~wake~push cat onto chest~sleep~wake~push cat onto floor~go to bathroom... ;)
    You are not so very far away, we should be invited to each other home warmings...At least we each understand the late date...
    Hope you had a wonderful long weekend filled with "small" wonderful things.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, I am long overdue for a visit to St. Johns! When was the last time you came out west?
    This summer or fall we need to get together!
    I have spent the whole weekend painting my ceilings in the living/room dining room and I finally have a light fixture where there was once just hanging wires(very dusty). I will post pictures soon.<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the pics...I know all about things dusty... :)
    I love the west coast...I used to go to {Central} Green Bay {Brighton} a lot with my ex. I love it there...
    I would love to get together...Anytime.

    I saw this site today and thought of you and this post...
    It's cute.
    http://justlittlethings.tumblr.com/

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from Belgium !
    Your children are so cute and funny !
    I'm very pleased to follow your blog.
    All the best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, I'm so pleased to have you on my blog!
    Although I love those children like my own, their mother is actually Niki, of Knix Hand Knits, I have a link to her blog. Check her out, her hats are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and enjoyed.